paigeawesome

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel
Rachel Joyce
Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime: The Oceans' Oddest Creatures and Why They Matter
Ellen J. Prager
When the Emperor Was Divine - Julie Otsuka Meh. This book was so-so. I picked it up on the library on impulse (even though I already have mountains of books waiting for me--it's a sickness) because I saw that this book was about the "Japanese internment camps." I had just read [b:The Garden of Evening Mists|12031532|The Garden of Evening Mists |Tan Twan Eng|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1333033941s/12031532.jpg|16997854] and had just learned about the camps built by the Japanese for the Chinese in Malaysia. That's what I mistakenly thought this book was about and I was excited to learn more. I soon realized my mistake but I thought I'd give it a go anyway.

It didn't really do it for me. The writing wasn't very skillful. It didn't feel like there was any character development at all. Actions, conversations, and passages are included that just seem out of place and don't do anything for the story. Conversations between the sister & brother, the conversation the girl had on the train with "Ted" where she told him her dad doesn't write to her even though he does..., things the mom did...it all left me scratching my head like, "Why did you even include that?"

I thought it was interesting that none of the main characters are named--indeed, it seems that only white people and the random Ted have names in this book. I thought it was an interesting device. I felt the strongest parts were the ones that talked about former internees' experiences after release and the final chapter. But overall, it really left me wanting and it wasn't a very satisfying or enjoyable read.

One good thing about it is that it is a really really quick read...so if you're really interested in the internment of citizens of japanese ancestry you might gain something from it.