paigeawesome

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel
Rachel Joyce
Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime: The Oceans' Oddest Creatures and Why They Matter
Ellen J. Prager
Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood After reading the first two pages of this book, I was like "amigad it's so good" to Peter, who of course wanted me to read it out loud to him based on my glowing review of the first couple hundred words.

We got through it pretty quickly, which is a testament to its readability. Peter kept asking me to read it to him, even during the day time or on our days off, which is somewhat rare (I usually read aloud to him during work hours to pass the time while we're slow). Although his final rating is 3 out of 5 stars ("It's too raunchy and in-your-face--we get it, people are flawed! You made your point already!!" and "It's kind of silly and sensational"), he did say that it was compelling and it sparked some good conversations & debate.

Margaret Atwood is obviously a capable writer. This is the first time I've read something by her and I'll definitely pick her up again. I appreciated the questions she raised and thought parts of this book were really funny, really tragic, and (unfortunately) really true. The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars from me is that there were aspects that were a little over-the-top and not quite believable (at least not without more explaining/worldbuilding). And also, I wish Oryx had been more developed.