paigeawesome

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel
Rachel Joyce
Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime: The Oceans' Oddest Creatures and Why They Matter
Ellen J. Prager
Two Old Women: An Alaska Legend of Betrayal, Courage and Survival - Velma Wallis, James Grant If I were listening to this story being told aloud in the oral tradition, I'd be blown away. But I guess I have kinda different standards for books. I think I would have liked it better if it were either shorter or longer. I suppose that's kind of a weird thing to say, but because it's a fable it's sort of flat (all fables are--not knocking this one). However if we're going the fable route, there were some superfluous parts that didn't really advance the story. It could have been fleshed out more into a novel length, too, which I would have found enjoyable--deeper characterization, more stories and banter between the women, more ruminating on friendship and family, etc.

The story itself is a pretty good one, though, and satisfying too. It kept me interested and entertained. :) The Goodreads description really says it all... This review by Abigail is also worthwhile.

This book is a very quick read, so if it's on your TBR pile, you can probably knock it out pretty quick if you're interested.