paigeawesome

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel
Rachel Joyce
Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime: The Oceans' Oddest Creatures and Why They Matter
Ellen J. Prager
The Outsiders - S.E. Hinton I recently read this book aloud to Peter (who had never read it?!? or seen the movie?!?! or hardly even heard of it wtf??) after maybe 12 years of not having read it. It used to be my favorite favorite favorite book (I had a crush on Ponyboy) and I liked the movie too. I was super into it, I read almost every single book S.E. Hinton wrote (Puppy Sister was another one I adored). You can imagine how 10-year-old me basically shit my pants when I wrote her a letter and she wrote me back!!!! OMG!! I was so stoked. She was really nice. Still brings a smile to my face. :')

Anyway...I didn't enjoy it as much this time around. Maybe it was because I was having The Casual Vacancy withdrawals or something, or because I had all these memories of being totally enthralled, but this time I wasn't. :( I mean, it was still a good story, but if I had read it for the first time just now I'd probably only give it three stars... which makes me sad, because this book and me were like THIS [this = making out]. I could never give it three stars, though. It's a book for young adults and I think it hits that audience marvelously well. If I could I'd give it more, because of how totally well it worked its magic on me.

Peter liked it; he said it was a "great story," and he thought it was a particularly good read for kids because it deals with privilege, disadvantage, and the power of family/friends/love. :)