paigeawesome

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel
Rachel Joyce
Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime: The Oceans' Oddest Creatures and Why They Matter
Ellen J. Prager
Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why - Laurence Gonzales I'd say it was like 3-3.5 stars, but I rounded up because I'm nice.

So...my dad really recommended this book to me. I can see why it'd be the sort of thing he'd like: I was rolling my eyes constantly (more in the beginning than at the end, but maybe that's just because I got used to it). That's not to say I'm not glad that I read it--I am really glad that I did, because it was entertaining and he did share a lot of good information. I wrote down all the titles of the books he references, hoping they'd have more of that type of information.

I really liked the survival stories, especially just that blurb about some crazy Japanese sergeant who lived "for the Emperor" alone in the jungles of Guam for TWENTY EIGHT YEARS!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!! I need to see a movie about that dude.

The best thing about this book would have to be the survival stories all the cool information about the brain. The worst part, for me, was the way he wrote, his personality. He wrote survival stories all right, although almost every time I found myself wondering, "How do you know every tiny detail that these people saw?!?!" I mean, if it was in an interview, I'd rather just read what the survivor said than read what this guy has to say about it. And I don't know, something about him (and it wasn't just a couple things, it was really persistent) just rubbed me the wrong way.

I still liked the book and would recommend it to people, though. If I found it for sale for $1 I would buy it, but if it was $3 I'd consider it.