paigeawesome

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel
Rachel Joyce
Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime: The Oceans' Oddest Creatures and Why They Matter
Ellen J. Prager
Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith - Jon Krakauer My dad handed me this book several years ago, saying that it was about "some crazy Christians living out there somewhere" and that I might find it interesting. He was slightly right about the first charge and absolutely right about the latter.

This book is extremely engrossing. I had a very difficult time putting it down. I usually try to read the books I'm reading out loud to my boyfriend, but they usually can't hold his interest. With this book, however, he kept asking me if we could read more of it, and he was very interested in what was unfolding.

It's a great book--it is chock full of very interesting information, well-written, and moves along quickly. There is one part, near the end, that isn't as good as the rest of the book, but Krakauer quickly steered it out of that funk.

Unlike others, I do think this book is pretty balanced. He interviewed, or at least got his hands on interviews with, quite the variety of "believers." I believe he tries to remain objective; it's just, straight talking about any religion seems to come off as anti-that religion, just by the nature of belief. This is the story of the fringe--the Fundamentalist Latter-Day Saints, and how they got to where they are today.