paigeawesome

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel
Rachel Joyce
Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime: The Oceans' Oddest Creatures and Why They Matter
Ellen J. Prager

Folk Stories of the Hmong: Peoples of Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam (World Folklore Series)

Folk Stories of the Hmong: Peoples of Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam - Norma J. Livo, Dia Cha I felt that some of the stories were really short, only a paragraph or two long. I don't know if that's the way they're told traditionally and the author didn't feel comfortable dressing them up or what. It was a really quick read and I love love love the color plates... actually as soon as I finished this book I started doing my needlepoint again. Anne Fadiman does a superb job explaining Hmong culture and traditions in her book The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures... the folk tales are sometimes charming, sometimes mildly offensive, and never having read a book full of just folk stories before, they seemed kind of repetitive--but that's not the book's fault. Anyway, I liked this book just fine but in the future I'll probably take my folk stories in small doses, peppered into larger works as the book by Fadiman I mentioned earlier does.