paigeawesome

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel
Rachel Joyce
Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime: The Oceans' Oddest Creatures and Why They Matter
Ellen J. Prager
Gillespie and I - Jane  Harris This book, I loved it.

The second genre it's listed in is "mystery." I have a sort of hit-and-miss relationship with the mystery genre; I've loved a couple and been bored by a couple (there was one I read years ago that was awfully, dreadfully boring--and I am a very difficult person to bore). The last mystery I read ([b:The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie|6218281|The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1)|Alan Bradley|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320485993s/6218281.jpg|4543476]), although I enjoyed it while I read it, isn't really the sort of story I was in the mood for. So it was with apprehension that I started this book, but soon I became rather into it. (Also: I'm not quite sure this qualifies as a "mystery"? It can be mysterious but I don't think of it as a genre mystery at all.)

After the first 10 percent or so, I was really invested. And kind of surprised at how much I really enjoyed this book. It was definitely a page-turner for me. There were parts that had me shaking--shaking!!--with laughter, trying to do so quietly so as not to wake my sleeping boyfriend. I can't remember the last time a book made me laugh so much. Oh man :'D But also, it has some elements that are quite seamy and maddening and tragic. It runs the gamut.

This novel is really really well crafted and exceeded my expectations in many ways.