paigeawesome

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel
Rachel Joyce
Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime: The Oceans' Oddest Creatures and Why They Matter
Ellen J. Prager
Ghana Must Go - Taiye Selasi Wow. Sign me up to read anything and everything by Taiye Selasi.

I don't often have the best of luck with my random library grabs (of all the books I've impulsively selected from the library based on titles/blurb jackets only one other one this year has gotten over 3 stars). This was a welcome surprise.

This is a really good book. Like most good books, I couldn't tell you what it's really "about." I mean sure there's plot points and everything, but it's the human story. In this case, it's told very poetically, sort of piecemeal... I suggest devoting at least an hour to it when you first start. A lot of times I read books in little snippets--a few paragraphs, a couple of pages here and there--because I read while I'm working. And this book requires a bit more attention than that. The good news is that it's well worth it. I've read a couple other reviews that critique the drama with the twins as unrealistic or sensational. At the time I was reading it I didn't think so (I usually just let fiction authors go where they want, for the most part uncritically, and I'm horribly at guessing plot twists and turns--I'm just too IN IT, guys) but after some time & reflection I think they have a point: it does seem sort of uncharacteristic for Fola to send her kids to Femi. But I remind myself that she was desperate and not thinking clearly--and I guess I just would have liked to see a bit more of that internal world of hers for it to seem like a true-to-life decision on Fola's part.

After I finished the book, I was compelled to look up interviews with the author. (This is something that I do not do very often. I think the last time was for JK Rowling, who is basically my favorite author.) I really like her and I'm excited to see what else she does.