paigeawesome

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel
Rachel Joyce
Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime: The Oceans' Oddest Creatures and Why They Matter
Ellen J. Prager
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly: A Memoir of Life in Death - Jean-Dominique Bauby, Jeremy Leggatt I took one look at the description and was expecting something insightful, inspirational, profound, poignant or at LEAST "wistful, mischievous, angry, and witty," as the description says. It was none of them. Not even angry--that would have been cool. The one thing it had going for it was that it was over quick--I started it this afternoon & finished it tonight. Also, it was a good Count of Monte Cristo tie-in which is actually the secondary reason that I chose to read it (I was so happy to see that he discussed it himself!). ;)

Almost every review as well was the description of the book mentions that it was dictated by a paralyzed man with his left eye. This is by far the most interesting thing about the book. It was mildly interesting but honestly I found the book very superficial. I didn't really get any real sense of what his life was like, or his state of mind, even though that's all he really talks about, or any sense of who he was as a person. I just didn't find the writing to be very descriptive, interesting, or engaging. There are a few sentence throughout the book that sort of give me an idea of what his life was like, and those were the best parts for me. It's more stimulating for me to sit and imagine what that kind of existence would be like than for me to read Bauby's account of it--not really what I was hoping for in a book. Some people have a way with words where they can write one sentence or phrase and evoke a whole slew of feelings. This guy wrote a whole book but his words evoked hardly a thing in me. He doesn't really reminicse about his life prior to the stroke, and when he does a tiny bit it seems really forced. Perhaps it was the translation. But honestly the reviews of the book on this website and the comments on them are a better, more interesting read for me.

Not to say that the book is completely worthwhile or useless; however I did feel that it was "just okay."